Some years we're excited about the New Year, mostly because we're glad to see the old year go. But I gotta say - 2011 has potentially been the best year of my life. Which is an awesome thing to be able to say, I realize. From Cali to Key West to Italy to Napa... to my brother's wedding... to the fun I've had dating... to the even-MORE-fun I've had with friends and family... to my successes at work... to this, my writing space: it has been an amazing ride. Honestly, I am almost anxious about 2012 because... what if it's not as good a year?? [Weird?: I feel like the odd-numbered years are better than the even-numbered years... anyone else notice that?] Though, I shall think positively, as I am prone to do... and thus am in high hopes that the current momentum of my life just keeps going right on UP! Please cross your fingers for me, would you? :)
But so what I have to say is this: A year like this could never have happened without the help of the universe... and some of the special people within it.
* Those who originally encouraged me to write. You know who you are :)
* My patient, patient, patient friends - who listen to me when I need to talk out my angst about life/people/BOYS at high volumes and fast pace. Who slap the faces of outta-line boys for me - or who give them the silent treatment on my behalf. Who hold me when I cry - and cheer me up with laughter. Who check-in on me when times are tough. Who tell me loving and supportive things, unsolicited. Who teach me more about kindness and love every day I know them. Who help me make well-educated life decisions. Who put up with me when I'm distracted... or snappy... or intoxicated :) Who share my life joys as if they were their own. Who are just as much family to me as my blood family is. I am lucky to have each and every one of you in my life.
* All my readers... I have been honored at the amount of people who have taken the time to read and respond to my lengthy writings. Any time you have responded to my writings, it has been a gift to me that I appreciate more than you'll know.
* My job - and the people at my job. Work ain't work when there are dozens - nay TONS - of amazing, heart-of-gold types that are a pleasure to even just run into in the coffee room. I am blessed especially with some rockstar bosses... and having found a "day job" :) that I am good at and enjoy. ANY work-friend reading this - you BET I'm talking about you.
* My therapist :) And mostly I share this bullet point because I want every out there to know there is zero shame in seeking a non-biased person to help you sort out the confusion of this world and of your life. But that said, my therapist in particular has helped me navigate some deep waters - career, personal life, you name it.
* My parents... For giving me the brain that I have - amongst many things :) And my non-computer-savvy mother has made a point to read my blog throughout this year... which means everything to me. She's my biggest fan - and I mean, of my life.
* My brothers... R.A. - For being the middle kid, you've done an impressive job of leading by example. I look up to you in so many ways. R.J. - You are my rock and my sun. Any other words would be pointless to even attempt to harness my love for you.
* God/The Universe - as to me, they are one-in-the-same. I recently was talking to someone about The Universe, and I said, "The Universe loves me." He laughed, and told me he believed that. And it's true - maybe it's bliss-following, maybe it's hard-work paying off, maybe it's luck... but I'm finally feeling like the world and I are turning in the same direction.
* All my muses in this world - some are people, some are magical things I stumble across while traveling the world or walking through this fine windy city. I don't take inspiration lightly - or for granted. It's gift, and I know that.
* And finally - any guy who's taken me on a date this past year. Or ever, I suppose :) It's amazing to finally be in a place in my life where I actually like myself enough to be myself around suitors. Thank you to all of you gents who have helped mirror who I am back to me - even just in treating me with respect or genuine interest. Can't wait for the dates of 2012... and the journey to find the one.
And that should do it, for now :) Maybe a bit "Academy award-y"... but je m'en fous. (French for "I don't give a shit" - essentially :) Haha.) - It all had to be said. I'm a lucky girl and owe so much gratitude - more than I can express.
Also - a pat on the back: it was beyond my wildest dreams that I might be able to keep up my writing for a whole year. I have a ton of pride - and can't wait to see what more years will do for me and ol' fairy dust. Spoiler? For 2012, I'm going to start up a secondary project... A food blog! How exciting :)
Wishing ALL OF YOU the happiest of holidays. Here's to 2012: You have big shoes to fill.